Do you know how to make a red eye Mr Flanagan? Bryan Brown says to Tom Cruise in the movie “Cocktail”. I don’t, and nor do I care. This warm holiday season I’ll be making something fresh, bright and refreshing. It’s like a gin and tonic but with a little extra kick.
serves 1, multiply as needed
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 1/2 oz ginger syrup, (recipe follows)
- 2 oz gin of choice
- 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
- 2 oz ginger beer
- 3-4 dashes lime bitters, optional
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 inch ginger, peeled and sliced
- In a tall glass, muddle mint leaves with ginger syrup. Add gin, lime juice, ginger beer, and a couple dashes of lime bitters. Stir together. Add ice. Garnish with lime wedges and additional mint leaves.
- In a small sauce pot, combine water, sugar, and sliced ginger. Bring to a boil until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Cover with lid and let ginger steep for 15-20 minutes. Strain ginger. Store syrup in fridge until ready to use. Keeps in the fridge for 2 weeks.
Recipe care of The Little Epicurian